Golden choux pastry, smooth pastry cream, full-bodied chocolate… discover the recipe for one of France’s emblematic pastries, chocolate Éclair !
Preparation : 30 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
Refrigeration: 1 hour
Quantity: 12 chocolate éclairs
• 50 g (1 3/4 oz) dark chocolate drops
For the choux pastry:
• 180 ml (3/4 cup) of water
• 80 ml (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
• 180 ml (3/4 cup) flour
• 4 to 5 eggs
For the pastry cream:
• 500 ml (2 cups) of milk
• 4 egg yolks
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour
• 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of cocoa
• 90 g (about 3 oz) dark chocolate drops
• 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla
Preparation of the choux pastry :
1. Bring the water to a boil with the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and heat over low heat, stirring until a paste forms. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Whisk the mixture vigorously until the dough comes away from the side of the pan.
3. Remove from heat, then add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously until smooth.
4. Form, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, 12 7.5-cm (3-inch) long éclairs using a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the éclairs are golden brown. Let cool.
Preparing the pastry cream :
6. Heat the milk in a saucepan until it begins to simmer.
7. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour and cocoa. Pour the hot milk into the bowl, then transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Let cool, then stir in the vanilla. Preparing the filling and icing:
9. Pierce two holes under each éclair, then fill them with chocolate pastry cream using a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip.
10. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie, then coat the top of the éclairs. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. •