Choux pastry :
• 4 eggs
• 200 g of flour
• ¼ liter of water
• 100 g of butter
• 1 pinch of salt
Praline Buttercream :
• 8 egg yolks
• 250 g softened butter
• 175 g of sugar
• a little water to moisten the sugar
• homemade or store-bought praline
Paris Brest Recipe
Prepare the choux pastry :
1. In a saucepan pour the water, add the butter and the salt.
2. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle in the flour.
3. Mix with a wooden spoon to obtain a homogeneous ball. Put back on the heat and dry the dough until it comes away from the sides of the pan.
4. Leave to cool before adding the eggs one by one with a wooden spoon (take care to incorporate the egg before adding the next).
5. Fill a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle.
6. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, make two rings, then a third straddling the first two.
7. Brush the surface with egg yolk. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
8. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 C (350 F). The surface should be golden and it should sound hollow when tapped.
9. let the choux pastry cool before cutting it.
Prepare the buttercream :
1. Prepare the syrup by pouring the sugar into the pan. Add a little water just enough to moisten the sugar (about 50ml).
2. Bring to a boil and cook the syrup to 121 C using a probe thermometer.
3. Beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer. When the syrup reaches a temperature of 121 C remove it and drizzle it over the egg yolks, not over the mixer.
4. When the syrup is incorporated beat at high speed until completely cooled.
5. Then add the softened butter at room temperature little by little. Homogenize the cream.
6. Finally add the praline to your taste.
7. Fill a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
8. After having cut the choux pastry in half in the direction of the thickness using a saw knife, garnish the bottom if desired with crushed and roasted almonds (optional).
9. Pipe the butter cream. Remove the top part. Sprinkle with icing sugar.