The oldest covered market in Paris, if not in France, the Marché des Enfants Rouges is the favorite place for residents of the Haut-Marais district.
The Marché des Enfants Rouges was created in 1615 in the center of Paris at the request of King Louis XIII to feed the increasingly numerous inhabitants of the Marais district. The name « Red Children » comes from the proximity of the market to the Hospice des Enfants Rouges (1524-1777) created by Queen Margaret of Navarre for orphans whose uniform was red, a sign of Christian charity).
Today, it is the favorite bobo market for residents and tourists. In a friendly atmosphere, we improvise a lunch break in the four corners of the world, we can eat Lebanese, Japanese, Italian, we even find products from a Corsican farm (goat cheese, organic jams, etc.).
And on Sundays, Parisians flock there to come for brunch at the restaurant « L’Estaminet », located in the heart of the market.
Red Children Market, 39 rue de Bretagne 75003 Paris