Inaugurated for the Universal Exhibition of Paris in 1900, this 45-meter-wide metal bridge was built to symbolize Franco-russian friendship.
A bridge dedicated to Alexander III
The idea for this ensemble, which includes the construction of a large avenue and the construction of the Palais des Beaux-Arts, the Grand and Petit Palais, came from Alfred Picard, who wanted to make it one of the major works of the Exhibition of 1900, of which he was the general commissioner. The culmination of a monumental urban complex that then linked the Champs-Élysées to the Esplanade des Invalides, it enabled France to emerge from its diplomatic isolation and, by dedicating it to Alexander III, to celebrate its Russian ally. France had in fact signed a military convention with this Russian Emperor (1845-1894) in 1892.
First stone laid by the Tsar
Thus, in 1896, during his visit to Paris, it was Tsar Nicolas II who laid the first stone of this bridge. , was intended to symbolize Franco-Russian friendship. Since then, it has never ceased to dazzle passers-by with its endless gilding. In the middle of its structure, we can notice the Nymphs of the Seine, bearing the arms of Paris, but also the Nymphs of the Neva, who bear the arms of Russia, quite a symbol … Registered since 1975 on the list of historical monuments, it has attracted many artists. Many film directors wanted to shoot scenes from their films there, from Woody Allen with « Midnight in Paris » to Larry Clark with “The smell of us”. Mariah Carrey also shot a large part of her music video there for the song « Say something » in 2006.