Roussillon is recognizable with its houses in pretty ocher tones, it is classified among the Most Beautiful Villages of France.
An unmissable village in the Luberon
The facades of the houses covered in yellow, orange, red totally set Roussillon apart from the other villages of the Luberon. It is the only village where dry stone does not dominate. So what a surprise when you discover, in the heart of the Luberon, this colorful village surrounded by vineyards, lavender fields, cherry trees and olive trees ! Without a doubt, with its ocher colours, Roussillon is an atypical and unmissable village in the Luberon that no other equals, because it is here that the largest ocher deposit in the world is found.
Le Sentier des Ocres
Le Sentier des Ocres is must-see site in the village and in Vaucluse, discover the magnificent ocher cliffs by following the two paths, lasting 30 or 50 minutes, with trees and landscaped in old quarries. Discreet desks mark out your route for explanations on geology, flora, history, the ocher massif of the Luberon… A total immersion in the heart of the largest ocher deposit in the world awaits you! You will be amazed by the dazzling colors of its unusual landscapes shaped by two centuries of ocher exploitation and the work of time.
Places to visit in Roussillon
- Ökhra – Ecomuseum of ocher : In an exceptional setting, the former ocher factory of Roussillon offers young and old alike a unique experience. Let yourself be guided from prehistory to the present day and discover the fabulous adventure of ochres and colours. Take part in the many workshops that are offered: initiation workshops, making pastels and watercolors, paintings will no doubt hold no more secrets for you! A counter-bookstore also offers a wide range of products dedicated to color.
• The Belfry : Old gate of the Castrum remodeled in the 19th century into a bell tower, annex of the church. The lane on the left leads to the old walkway which joined two towers of the ramparts (hence the name Bistourle).
• Saint-Michel church : (12th century) Remodeled several times: 17th century facade, 18th century bell tower and late 17th century works by Poitevin.
• The orientation table : At the top of the upper village, discover the orientation table which offers a magnificent panorama of the Monts de Vaucluse and Mont Ventoux.
• The fountain of the naiads : Old washhouses in the village.