From December 18, 2021 to January 2, 2022, the palace of Versailles offers an exceptional program… All visitors, from the smallest to the largest, will be able to take advantage of the Christmas holidays to discover Versailles differently.
The magic of Christmas in Versailles
On December 18 and 19, 2021, the first weekend of the Christmas holidays, families are invited to live a unique experience around the King’s Animals exhibition. On the program, an investigative visit to the King’s State Apartments in search of Louis XIV’s chimera, a police lock-up and a storytelling tour of the incredible journey of a bespectacled flamingo for the youngest. For older children, flash tours will be carried out free of charge and without reservation by a mediator at the entrance to the Les Animaux du Roi exhibition.
Follow the presentation of a work in 15 minutes from a smell chosen at random. An original and fun way to approach the exhibition.
Here is the program of entertainment planned during the Christmas holidays:
• Visit-investigation around the exhibition The Animals of the King. December 18 and 19, 2021 In the King’s State Apartments, parents and children set off in search of Louis XIV’s chimera. This police camera is transformed into a storytelling tour on the incredible journey of a flamingo with glasses for the youngest.
• Flash tours of the King’s Animals exhibition. December 18 and 19, 2021 For older children, flash tours are organized free of charge and without reservation, by a mediator at the entrance to the exhibition. Follow the presentation of a work in 15 minutes from a smell chosen at random. An original and fun way to approach the exhibition.
• Discover the new pieces from the Carrosses gallery. Two exceptional pieces have been added to the château’s collections. The dragon sled is an extremely rare example of a 17th century French sled representing a strange and fantastic bestiary. It completes the exceptional collection kept at the Galerie des Carrosses. Marie-Antoinette’s canoe, found by Pierre de Nolhac at the end of the 19th century, was restored thanks to the support of the Société des Amis de Versailles and is presented today in the Carrosses gallery. Free admission.
• Visit to Le Parcours du Roi show. From December 11 to 30, sessions from 6 p.m. At nightfall, actors, musicians, baroque dancers, fencers and magicians guide us through the most beautiful rooms of the Castle, from the State Apartments to the Hall of Mirrors illuminated with fireworks, and to the gallery of Battles, where they can meet Santa Claus. From 31 €
• Shows at Versailles. Midnight Mass by Charpentier directed by Sébastien Daucé. December 19 at the Royal Chapel. The Four Seasons performed by the Orchester de l’Opéra Royal and performed by the Compagnie de l’Eventail. December 18 and 19 at the Royal Opera. Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake, revisited by Angelin Preljocaj. From December 22 to January 2 at the Royal Opera.
• Guided tours of the castle
• Visit of the King’s Animals exhibition.